2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Friday 9 December 2011

"My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Psalm 92:2 shows us where we need to go when we need a place of refuge, nothing else but God. As we visited the medical experts yesterday, it again became so obvious that God gives people the wisdom to make medicine and to give good sound advice, but when it comes to healing these medical experts are helpless. Only God can give healing and bless the means.

We had a very pleasant meeting with our regular Oncologist. He is a very nice and compassionate man with all the best intentions in the world. Again we went over the results of the CT scan and he asked many questions and how I would like to proceed from here. The best I could do is return the question to him and ask his advice which he gave me the best he could. He said that when I had my first round of Chemo he was very encouraged with the rapid response the cancer had to the chemo. He had hoped this would continue, however it did not. Right now I basically have fallen into the common area with most kidney cancer patients. Although, he was not giving up by any means, he suggested I start Chemo treatments right away today at 75% of the original strength. I agreed on that. If the Chemo proves to be still too powerful for my body and I get sick like the last round he will switch me to a different Chemo Therapy treatment. He also said that other types of Chemo treatments for Kidney cancer are becoming available down the line.

So as of December 8, I am back on Chemo treatments for the next 28 days and hope to be finished on January 4, 2012. I had hoped for a little more time off or maybe I was just looking to postpone treatments a little further down the road in order not to have to deal with the side effects of the Chemo.

We also visited the Homeopath whose services I used from the time I was diagnosed. I will continue to use his prescribed remedy. Every medical doctor we visit always comments on the healthy appearance that I have. This may be so, but inside it is a different story, not only physical but also spiritual. Each time I struggle with the fallout of Chemo the spiritual struggle becomes more intense. In those difficult times there is nobody that can comfort like Jesus. I have Henrietta and the children that comfort me so much, but ultimately God comforts as no other, we can read this in Psalm 119:50 this is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

I hope that those who read this blog will also seek their Eternal comfort in Jesus. He is waiting for hearts that repent from sin and believe on Him.

 Last night as we travelled back from Vancouver, Henrietta said, you know I have a real hard time to feel sad. We both agreed on that, it is amazing how good God is to us. We still have times that we can go away together when I feel good and be with our children and grand children. Church life and friends mean a lot to us and we love our walks and talks along Chilliwack River with its beautiful wild white water. Yes, life does have many blessings and we are thankful to see and enjoy them each day. We thank God often for His countless blessings day after day.

I want to thank you too; so many people send messages, emails and cards or pay personal visits. Thank you for your prayers. And as we get closer to Christmas I want to remind you of the true reason of Christmas, Jesus!

Wishing you and yours a good and Godly day.
John

1 comment:

  1. Dear John & Henrietta:

    As we celebrate Christmas once again, we focus more acutely on the Reason for the Season. This annual event shares to all the reason God came down to earth to become like us so we could be like Him. We have all reason to share with others what Christmas does to us and what Christ means for us. Christ’s coming into this world gives us the hope and joy and expectation every soul longs for and every soul who hears the message is invited to be partakers of this Gift of peace, faith, hope, love and joy that alone can fill the hunger of our souls. This knowledge and joy transcends every pain and problem we ever face.

    For the ancient Magi, the message was clear: A great king was on the way, announced with the silent fanfare of a brilliant star. And if such a king was foretold more than one thousand years earlier, He was worth traveling to see.
    And so they came, and so do we. Somehow this star, our Star, broke through the galaxies to remind us that the intimate story of the Nativity is written on the widest of canvases. And when we see Him, every star dims by comparison.

    As we celebrate the birth of our dear Savior and Lord this season, we have reason to celebrate and to have our days merry and bright because we know His joy and live in expectation of His glory. Jesus came through a doorway called Bethlehem and the world was changed forever. That is something to celebrate and reason to have a Merry Christmas. The Word became flesh and dwelled among us. He is our Immanuel today –God with us! Therefore we can live in peace and have strength and hope knowing our God is with us!

    Life is fragile and sometimes our lives are shaken by circumstances we have not expected, and life takes a different course from our plans and expectations and we can wonder if God knows. But be assured, He knows our every weakness and our every care. He became like us. Heb. 4:15-16

    15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

    May the Lord continue to be your strength and song.

    Love

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete