2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Monday 27 August 2012

One day at a time

The last posting was about the positive results and that I was taking a break from Chemo treatments for one or two weeks.I felt pretty good and decided to take only one week. Now I am back on Chemo and almost finished my second week already, how time flies by.

One day at a time is easier said than done. I am one of those that tend to run ahead of myself and get hurt by it in the process. I had to experience this again last week when it became obvious that I over extended myself with the move from our old home to the new one. I felt pretty good and lifted some heavy stuff and in the process over exerted my body and now I am paying for it with a lot of muscle pain in the chest. I find it very difficult to watch everybody work and I do little or nothing.

We love our new home and new surroundings, each day it feels more like home. However, I realize every day that this earthly home is just a temporary home and not a day goes past that my thoughts wander to the future, only to remind myself to take one day at a time. I struggle at times with the text from Matthew 6:19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Dear friends, do you struggle with these things at times that all these earthly things will pass as quoted in Psalm 103:15 As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; 16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. 17 But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children, 18 to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments.

Sure, there are exciting times and times that we cherish with family and friends, yet in all these things I so often see the temporal joy and realize that only real joy will be to be with Christ Jesus. One of those joyful messages we just received from our daughter Stephanie and her husband Chad that they are expecting a baby early next year. Great blessing against all odds, yet by God all things are possible. Will I see that joyful day? I do not know but I am praying that I will. So life goes on, one day at a time. For closing I want to share a beautiful poem written by Annie Johnson Flint.

One day at a time, with its failures and fears,
With its hurts and mistakes, with its weakness and tears,
With its portion of pain and its burden of care;
One day at a time we must meet and must bear.

One day at a time to be patient and strong,
To be calm under trial and sweet under wrong;
Then its toiling shall pass and its sorrow shall cease;
It shall darken and die, and the night shall bring peace.

One day at a time - but the day is so long,
And the heart is not brave, and the soul is not strong,
O Thou pitiful Christ, be Thou near all the way;
Give courage and patience and strength for the day.

Swift cometh His answer, so clear and so sweet;
"Yea, I will be with thee, thy troubles to meet;
I will not forget thee, nor fail thee, nor grieve;
I will not forsake thee; I never will leave."

Not yesterday's load we are called on to bear,
Nor the morrow's uncertain and shadowy care;
Why should we look forward or back with dismay?
Our needs, as our mercies, are but for the day.

One day at a time, and the day is His day;
He hath numbered its hours, though they haste or delay.
His grace is sufficient; we walk not alone;
As the day, so the strength that He giveth His own.

Thank you for the cards, your prayers and cares.
John

2 comments:

  1. Dear brother and sister, I thank the Lord for the grace He shows in your life. It's always encouraging. Worldly people have no hope in troubles, but our hope even is increasing in such days. God bless you and all friends over there. Cees&Ariƫtte&family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John and Henrietta: We think of you and pray for you often together with our children who have you on their list of people to pray for. We want to encourage both of you through the trials and difficulties of this life knowing that "this world is not our home". The song "Blessings" by Laura Story has really impacted me which speaks about this. I hope it does the same for you.

    "Blessings"

    We pray for blessings
    We pray for peace
    Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
    We pray for healing, for prosperity
    We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
    All the while, You hear each spoken need
    Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

    'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
    What if Your healing comes through tears
    What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
    What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

    We pray for wisdom
    Your voice to hear
    We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
    We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
    As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
    All the while, You hear each desperate plea
    And long that we'd have faith to believe

    When friends betray us
    When darkness seems to win
    We know that pain reminds this heart
    That this is not our home

    What if my greatest disappointments
    Or the aching of this life
    Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
    What if trials of this life
    The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
    Are your mercies in disguise

    ReplyDelete