2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 9 February 2013

Blessings of shopping from God and for God

Strange heading for a blog maybe? I will share with you what I mean by it. This is not something that I have experienced once in a great while, but is often the case. I believe with all my heart that God is answering our prayers for open doors and oppertunities to share the Gospel.

Blessing of shopping from God.
Most men, and that includes myself, don’t like shopping. However, I have to confess that I do like grocery shopping and Henrietta is delighted that I do, relieving her from a task she does not like to do. Because of my cancer I am on a very strict diet and I will scan the shelves for goodies that I could possibly eat without compromising my diet. Actually, I have always liked grocery shopping but ever since I was diagnosed with cancer it has taken on a different dimension.

I feel very blessed when I can put items in my cart that I can actually pay for. I see each item as a great blessing. Having been in many third world countries we often saw the great poverty that exists in many countries in the world today. Here in Canada we have an over abundance of goods and food. Each item that drops in the cart is a gift from God that is why I called it “shopping from God”. He supplies us with all our daily needs and more. I thank Him for that often.

Blessings of shopping for God
In the past, before I was diagnosed with cancer many people greeted me or vice versa with a casual   “ hello how are you.” Today the same thing still happens but in a different manner like “Hi, how are you doing” or “Hi you’re looking good, how are you."

This week was no exception as I again was asked how I was doing by a lady shopping with her children. I shared with her that the road of cancer can be a difficult road at times and a road with deep potholes. I also shared with her the blessings of this road and how that God continues to bless us daily in many ways. How that He provides and that my trust is in Him alone and how that He also made us cross paths this day. She understood and we had a very nice conversation where I believe that God was glorified.

As I was still speaking with the lady, a man, (a Christian) whom I had not spoken to for some years stopped and listened to the end of our conversation. I said my good bye to the lady and her children and the man proceeded to say, it sounds like you have your work cut out sharing the work of God. After some conversation, I shared that I had cancer which surprised him because he said you can’t see that from the outside. He wished me God’s blessings and after some very encouraging and Godly conversation we also parted ways.

 Just before I headed out of the store with my buggy full of blessings the same man stood there waiting by the door. He shared with me that he prayed daily with his wife for many people in their needs and assured me he would add me to his prayer list.  In addition to that he asked if he could pray with me right now. Of course I said, if this is on your heart you may. He removed his cap and prayed from deep within his heart for healing, for continued blessings for both of us and for the future treatments. We were both deeply moved by Gods presence right there in the grocery store.

Joyfully I returned home, promising that I would write about Gods grace and His ever present  blessings and the journey that He is taking me on. Very often Henrietta says, "You must have been talking again because you’re late.”  It encourages me to pray for open doors each day and God continues to pour His blessings upon us.

Personally, I have been struggling with my body this week. I was going for long walks with Henrietta. In the last 2 weeks things started to change, as days went by the walks became shorter and the last couple of days I have not gone for a walk at all. Pain in the left side of my pelvis keeps me from walking longer distances. On Wednesday I contacted the Radiation Oncologist in regards to this. She immediately ordered an X-ray for Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning I received a bone scan to see what the problem is. I don’t expect results until next week.

I've gotten to know my body pretty good in the last 2 years, this does not feel good or right and I believe that the cancer is possibly invading more bones. I used a cane several times to get some relief when walking, it makes me feel old. I continue to pray for a peaceful and submissive heart and to abide in God’s will. The road of cancer is difficult at times with unexpected turns. This morning I read Psalm 46. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present  help in trouble". It gives comfort, still I need to process it all and at times my thoughts wander way too far into the future.

Thank you so much to those who contacted or visited me, or those that engaged in conversation when we met in various places. May the God of peace be with you all.
John



 In order to mold His children, God sometimes has to melt them down.
Author Unknown
 
Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.


 

1 comment: