2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Tuesday 24 May 2011

How are you doing?

People that meet or contact me always ask this question. There are some that avoid the question and say nothing, I can understand that too, however, I have no problem if you ask me.  It is me that has to respond to the question. What do you say? Usually we answer these questions with, I am fine, how about yourself?
How do we deal with turbulent times like these in our lives? For me that has changed a lot. I don’t know how I could ride out this “storm” on my own without my anchor Jesus Christ. I often compare it with the builder in Matthew 17:24 who built his house on a rock (Christ). I too see these big storms and huge waves approaching at times and beat on me. It makes me shrink, it makes me feel sick and weak and yet the house stands because I can so often feel God’s presence during these storms. Do you have “ your house” built on the Rock?
So how is it really going, pretty good, pretty weak, difficult to eat and talk because of a very sore throat. I am really looking forward to my two week break from Chemo starting on June 2. Now that we have better weather we try to go for walk each day. It amazes me each day again how that these Chemo treatments have taken the wind out of my sails.

There is one person I have mentioned way too little, and that is Henrietta. I am sure you have all heard of the virtuous women in Proverbs 31. Few people know about this secret but I married her 33 years ago. I suggest you read this chapter and you will see what I mean.  Henrietta gets up in the morning and juices carrots and oranges and lemons and cares for me all day until it is time to go to bed.  Words fall short of a way to say thank you Henrietta. I love you.
Thank you again so much for your prayers and other ways of showing your love and care. Please continue to remember us in your prayers.

John

5 comments:

  1. Dear John and Henrietta,

    You have both been in our prayers so much, and in our thoughts constantly... We weren't able to be at the prayer meetings for you, but it's been on our mind none the less. We pray that your confidence in Jesus Christ never wavers, and that you'll keep looking up to Him to give you grace for one day at a time.
    Hopefully we'll see you soon,
    Love, Chris & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith is trusting God with your burdens, knowing that your prayers are already answered (Isaiah 65:24). It's being persuaded that God has the power to do what He has promised (Romans 4:21). It is knowing that all things work together for good to those who love Him (Romans 8:28). It's being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1).
    Praying for strength for all of you as you go through this trial.
    With brotherly love,
    Marty & Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John & Henrietta,

    We continue to uphold you in our prayers, as we thank Him for upholding you! Recently I read, "We don't fight for victory but from victory." Not our own but Christ's victory for us & in us!

    With love in Him,
    Foppe & Elina VanderZwaag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John & Henrietta,

    Thank you for keeping up your blog, we are thinking and praying for you. It is nice to see you have lots of friends to "let you down".

    Psalm 91:2

    I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; God, in Him I will trust.”

    Wishing you strength during this time. Regards,

    Bert & Debbie Bos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear John & Henrietta:

    As you share your story with us, it makes us think on Job who lost everything including his health. After initially confessing his continued faith in his God, he falls into depression and wishes he had never been born and questions all that God is doing in his life. Understandably so. Yet this is a story and example of a faithful God who holds His children in His hands and never lets them go. In the end, Job has a greater sense of God and God's presence with him than before. Trials for God's children often have a way of drawing them nearer to God and having a much closer relationship with Him through Jesus Christ than before the trial. Job confessed "even if He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." "I know that my Redeemer lives..."
    Keep holding on John, the God of Job is till the same today..

    love

    Gerrit & Connie deJong

    ReplyDelete