2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Tuesday 3 January 2012

What about tomorrow ?

There are times and days when troubles can be so overwhelming. Not just troubles of my own cancer but also for those with whom I share this dreadful disease, as I heard today how that our pastors wife was diagnosed with a serious case of breast / bone cancer. I remember the day as if it happened an hour ago when my doctor told me that I had cancer. I re-live the day when I hear others are diagnosed and I feel their pain and tears, it brings reality home once again that all our lives will end on this earth sooner or later. This begs the question, where will we spend eternity? A big question that requires an answer. We all know that we cannot blame God if we go lost, that leaves only us personally responsible. Today is the day of Salvation.

Sometimes the thought arises in my mind, what’s next, who is it going to be tomorrow? Yet, I have to leave tomorrow up to God and not worry about it. We can read in Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Indeed if we can all take this to heart our days will be filled with much peace, as written in Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I am thankful to God that I can often rest in that Peace. Life can be such a rollercoaster at times, yet Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever, a great comfort when one finds himself in the deep valleys of life. It is in these valleys where streams of Living Water flow, the Living Water Jesus Christ. This is indeed the most restful place for weary souls, a place where I indeed find rest. So whatever your circumstances are, surrender to Christ, he will give you rest, Eternal rest.

The last days have been particularly difficult because of being very ill from Chemo treatments. I ended my treatments three days early because my body basically crumbled under the load and it was impossible to go on, not even one more day. I am at peace with it and place it all into Gods hands. He knows what is best. Today I am in recovery mode, trying to keep the little food down that I ate. Hopefully in a few days I will feel much better.

What’s next? What about tomorrow? I will have to see the Oncologist on January 16, Lord willing. I don’t know the answer yet. As quoted earlier; “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.”

Thank you for your love and care and the many cards from many different places.

Resting in His Grace,
John


1 comment:

  1. Dear John & Henrietta:

    Thanks again for continuing to share your thoughts and your journey of life at this time.

    Jesus Himself said “ In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world.” You continue to demonstrate for us what the Bible says “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” It is an inner peace you cannot explain – it passes our human understanding of even explaining it. But it is real and powerful. And it guards and guides your heart and mind with God’s peace.

    Here below, we live in our human bodies, and when our bodies break down, then where will we live?

    So often, when not confronted and challenged directly with health and other major issues, we seem to enjoy our materialistic abundant life which often leads to self-centeredness and shuts out concerns for others since the more we have, the more we have to protect and worry about. We not only take the “North American Dream” for granted, but we have come to expect it as if we had a right to it and as if this were our eternal home, not realizing the amount of lack and suffering for most of the world’s population. This shuts out our dependence on God and our daily walk with Him. By nature we pursue that which does not satisfy but only clutters our lives and diverts our attention and energy, and which leaves our souls hungry for something more lasting, fulfilling, and substantiating. Only Jesus Christ can be our “All in all”. God often puts “the brakes” on our lives in some way to make us see the reality of this life as compared to eternal life and relationship with our Savior. We all have a zeal and zest for life since God has created us with a sense of eternity in our souls that is intended for eternal relationship with God beginning in the here and now.

    Jesus comforts us in John 14 with a divine and heavenly perspective:
    1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

    Wherever we are, God’s presence with us, as He has promised, is always our strength and joy. Jesus knows what it is like to be human and to suffer what humans suffer. Therefore He understands and is able to help us in our time of need. Humanly we would expect Him to remove the burden from His children, but that is often not the case, but rather He demonstrates His power in our weakness. And that is a parable! That is living proof of the Gospel truth demonstrated for all to see.

    I know that my Redeemer lives
    and ever prays for me
    A token of His love He gives
    a pledge of liberty

    Joyful in hope, my spirit soars
    To meet You from above
    Your goodness thankfully adores
    And sure, I taste Your love

    We continue to believe God’s own Word in John 14:14 “You may ask Me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” And so, brother, we continue to lift you up in Prayer for His healing touch.

    Love

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete