2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Friday 17 February 2012

What are you counting ?

It was a good and blessed week to be away from daily commitments and to enjoy nature and warm temperatures in a different part of the world. It was a blessed time of quietness, relaxing, long walks and bike rides but also a time of reflecting on life.

March 11 is coming up fast when I will see the Oncologist again and will have to make a decision to go back on Chemo treatments or not. The time away gave me much time to think about the things that lie ahead, temporal and eternal. How many days or weeks or months will there be left on earth? Will there even be a tomorrow? Lately I have prayed much for complete healing; I prayed for more time with my loved ones and that God would help me to make the right decisions.

During the flight home I was reading a book that was given to me by friends called “Be still my soul” by Nancy Guthrie. One of the chapters mentions Psalm 90:12” So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom”. I had read this Psalm many times before, yet this time it made a deeper impression on me than ever before. We often plan and look ahead without even considering if we will even see the next day. I prayed much for healing in the past, yet it is becoming more and more real to me that the end of life is coming closer each day. I believe it to be a wise not only to count our blessings, but also our days.

Each day we see many people living like there is “no tomorrow.” Seemingly happy without being concerned of the endless eternity that awaits each of us. How are you doing? Are you concerned and do you have the assurance that Christ died for your sins? If you do not have Christ as your Saviour then there is the opportunity today, as it is written in John 3:10 that whoever believes in Him (Jesus) may have eternal life. Yes, that means today!

As for myself, I am doing well, I am getting stronger. I eat and sleep well. The Lord is blessing us with countless blessings and we thank Him for this daily. This week I received many cards in the mail with wonderful messages in them. Thank you so much for that and thank you for your prayers.

Also this week another cancer patient that I knew (Stiena) passed away at the age of 58, the Lord took her Home after a 5 year battle with cancer. Psalm 138:5 And they shall sing of the ways of the LORD, for great is the glory of the LORD.
Are you ready to sing?

John

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again John for wise, heartfelt words of wisdom. God is great and greatly to be praised, as we count our blessings and our days.

    ReplyDelete