2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Wednesday 2 May 2012

There’s two ways to solve a Rubik’s Cube.

There’s two ways to solve a Rubik’s Cube; one is to peel the stickers off and cheat, the other is to toil over the thing until you learn how to do it correctly.
I think it’s like that with our Christian lives. We can cheat ourselves by peeling the stickers off and putting them in the right places so the world thinks we’re all set and good. The alternative is to do some toiling of our own. Searching our own hearts if we are truly in the faith.

Jack Westerink, a brother in the Lord who has ALS recently wrote the following on his blog ” just because you are dying, it doesn't mean that you stop living” a statement that is so true and should speak to us all. It begs the question; will we still be here when the sun rises in the morning? At times it is said “we are still in the land of the living”. When I hear that statement I always have the inclination to correct it into “we are in the land of the dying”.

It made me think of the young girl who received a gift from her boyfriend to go on a tandem hang gliding jump from one of the local mountains here this week. Only seconds into the flight she fell some 300 meters to her death. She had expected to land in a green pasture maybe 30 minutes later. Instead she died and met her Maker that day. Even if you don’t hang glide, death can come at anytime, the question is, are we ready.

I want to share an amazing sermon I heard on Sunday at our church, you can listen to it here. It gave me renewed hope and courage to go on. God is doing great things in our lives. I hope you will take the time to listen. This sermon on Hebrews 12: 1-2 gave me much courage, how that we are to run the race that is set before us. Yes, we will encounter difficult times during our race, however, if we keep our eyes on Christ we will be able to endure until the end.

I feel so well that we decided a few weeks ago to go for 18 days to the Netherlands, the country of my birth. Some of highlights of this trip are to attend a wedding, visit family and be part of recording and broadcast of Christian music, Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual songs accompanied by choirs and orchestra and a variety of other instruments including audience participation. We can sing to our hearts desire on May 15 in one of the oldest Gothic Basilica Cathedrals in Holland, dating back to 1470. That makes this Cathedral 540 years old. Once we get back, Lord willing, I hope to post a recording of this event.

Because I don’t have to be back until May 25 for a CT scan we are able to go to Europe. The doctors felt it was no problem for me to go. On May 30 I hope to get the CT scan results. We continue to pray for complete healing, and I continue to believe with all my heart that God can do the impossible. I continue to feel good and wonder at times what is happening inside and look forward to the scan results.

The next time I will write on my blog will be the last week of May, Lord willing. However there will be others that will fill in for me. Our daughters Stephanie and Sophia returned safely from Dominican Republic after a safe but moving journey. They will tell you all about it, I am sure you will enjoy reading about their experiences.

Until then I wish you God’s blessings, God be with you till we meet again.
John

2 comments:

  1. Praying you have a wonderful trip and many God-opportunities to speak of His love.
    Blessings and love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! What a blessing that you are able to take this trip! I'm so pleased for you. May the LORD indeed give us each the grace to live each day for HIM. And no, none of us can be assured of tomorrow. Our times are in HIS hands. What a blessing to rest in that knowledge. And yes, HE can do the *impossible*! We continue to pray for you.

    Blessings to you!
    Camille and Howie

    ReplyDelete