2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Wednesday 30 May 2012

Daily looking upward to Christ

What will you get by looking upward to Jesus? Comfort and strength in all the daily battle of life. What thought more cheering than the thought that Jesus is ever looking at you and watching over you! What idea more strengthening than the idea that you are never alone, never forgotten, never neglected, never without a Friend who is "able to save to the uttermost all them who come unto God by Him!" This daily upward look at Jesus is a most important point. J.C.Ryle.

This was part of today’s daily message I receive in my email each day, and before I left to visit my Oncologist at the Vancouver Cancer Center I was encouraged by this. After my visit with the Oncologist I realized that this is indeed the message I needed for today’s CT scan results.

The news I received from my Oncologist was not what I had hoped or prayed for nor did I expect it. It showed that the cancer continues to grow and that the cancer is spreading. Beside both of my lungs it has now appeared on the bottom of my spine and on the only adrenal gland I have left. Also the lymph nodes in my chest showed cancer. With this message I was given the choice of a new clinical trial Chemotherapy or do nothing for the next 4-6 weeks. We will now have to prayerfully consider the next step.

I am coming more and more to the realization that this for real. It may sound strange, but up to now I have had no side effects, pain or discomforts from the cancer itself. The past Chemo treatments made me very sick, to the point that I had to quit treatments at the end of January. I think Henrietta put it in the right perspective today, tell someone that he has the flu and is very sick, all the while this person is feeling fine showing no outward symptoms. I feel just like that, just fine, yet I know that it is not going good inside.

I asked my Oncologist why I am feeling so good, he said count your blessings. Some people that have this kind of cancer have great discomfort or pain. I find it difficult to express how I feel today; one thing I know, life is going to end, for you and for me. The question is not really when but are we ready to meet our Maker.

Driving home we spoke about the goodness of our Lord, how that we are blessed even today when we are still being able to spend this time together. Many exchange life with death in a moment while we still get this time together with our loved ones. Time to prepare, time to talk, time to pray, time to rejoice, time to enjoy Gods creation on our daily walks, time to pray for others.

Today it is 39 years ago that I immigrated to Canada, how time has flown by, yet we can look back at many and great blessings. It is good when looking back to see Gods countless blessings in our life, looking forward I find hard to do at this time, however, I do believe that God will continue to bless us and watch over us.

As I said, the decision to start Chemo treatments will have to be made soon. Please pray with us and for us and that God will still give healing. By God all things are possible.
God bless you all.
John

O teach Thou us to count our days
And set our hearts on wisdom's ways;
Turn, Lord, to us in our distress,
In pity now Thy servants bless;
Let mercy's dawn dispel our night,
And all our day with joy be bright,
And all our day with joy be bright

5 comments:

  1. Dear John
    How disappointing for you to receive these CT scan results yesterday . Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus , despite the storm and the waves . His rod and staff will comfort you (Psalm 23:4). Praying for you .
    Love ,
    Jack Westerink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John & Henrietta & Fam.

    We too are "disappointed" with the doctor's report and perhaps ask ourselves if we are perhaps disappointed with God's way in this. Job asked many unanswered questions himself during the many trials God brought into his life. But God was with him even though he may not have been that aware of it as it seemed God was against him.

    In Luke 8, Jesus instructs his disciples to sail across the lake. He says "Let us go to the other side of the lake." When Jesus says something it will come to pass. They were guaranteed a safe arrival. If the disciples had understood this better, they would not have panicked or feared as they did. Jesus was on board and that makes all the difference in our lives. And yet, they panicked and even accused Jesus of not caring about them. They should have known the Almighty power of Jesus and his love for them as He had constantly shown that.
    But it also shows us that even though we are promised a safe landing, we are not exempt from storms. They happen to every person to some degree. It is part of the journey of life because of the brokeness caused by sin. So it makes all the difference if Jesus is in "our boat" of life. He is with us at all times and He alone calms the storms as you have constantly experienced already. So no panic.
    Yes, we would prefer to avoid the storms and wish for a better journey in life, but perhaps we would then be more earthly minded and more attached to the things of here and now and be less heavenly-minded as Christ-followers. We need constant reminders that we are but pilgrims passing through to our Promised Land.
    And God puts you here, John, to be a witness to us all about the power of faith in the face of adversity. And we thank God for that.


    You said You'd come and share all my sorrows,
    You said You'd be there for all my tomorrows;
    I came so close to sending You away,
    But just like You promised You came there to stay;
    I just had to pray!

    Your goodness so great I can't understand,
    And, dear Lord, I know that all this was planned;
    I know You're here now, and always will be,
    Your love loosed my chains and in You I'm free;
    But Jesus, why me?

    Jesus, I give You my heart and my soul,
    I know that without God I'd never be whole;
    Savior, You opened all the right doors,
    And I thank You and praise You from earth's humble shores;
    Take me, I'm Yours.

    And Jesus said, "Come to the water, stand by My side,
    I know you are thirsty, you won't be denied;
    I felt ev'ry teardrop when in darkness you cried,
    And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died."

    Wishing you the joy of the Lord in adversity,

    love

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that your decision will be made clear and that you will have peace in the days/months ahead. It is such a blessing that you have no pain! Encouraging to read how strong your faith is amidst all that is happening in your lives.
    Praying for your family.
    Sarah Beric (nee Westerink - Jack Westerink's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Praying for you and your family ~~(as we sooo know this is a family thing!!with our little Luke as well!!)praying for you that God will make it clear what you should do?and yet thanking God that you are pain free !may you just lean on those "Everlasting Arms"With our prayers Esther and Harry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine the roller coaster of emotions you are feeling now, as a whole family. Praying for you that as all that was once " firm" crumbles , your feet will find comfort and security planted firmly on the true rock, Jesus Christ, who never leaves us or forsakes us, who is the same yesterday, today and forever. Thy wayis is in the sea, and thy path through the mighty waters
    Joni Bouma ( daughter of Jack)

    ReplyDelete