2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Thursday 3 November 2011

And the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations.

Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God. 2 Corinthians 3:5

Paul knew that if his ministry was to be effective for God he could not rely on human resources but on the supernatural power of God. Paul also realized that sharing the Gospel should not be taken lightly. Paul also knew his inadequacy for his God given work. He said in 2 Cor. 2:16 But who is adequate for such a task?

I experienced myself this past week how helpless we can feel when sharing the Gospel to people. I would like to come back to my visit with my Oncologist last week. I do have to tell you that certain important details of the story are left out due to confidentiality.

On October 5 we had an appointment to visit my oncologist and to receive my Chemo pills for the next 4 weeks. A month earlier when we visited him I really felt the need to share the Gospel with him. This Oncologist is a very caring, soft spoken and friendly doctor. First the Oncologist gave me the news that the cancer had advanced during the two months of no Chemo treatments and that I could possibly grow immune to the Chemo that is being used. I may have to switch to another kind of Chemo or clinical trials. I told him that I believed with all my heart that God could heal me, if that was His will, and that I believed in prayer.

 I asked the Oncologist if he would accept a gift from me, he said he would. So I presented him with a story of a man that grew up in a non Christian home, yet through Gods directed circumstances he was saved. It is a touching story, the same story I have given to many other people. So we left him with this gift with the promise that we would talk again next time we visit.

As we walked out of his office and into the general reception area a woman that I have known for many years walked up to me. She has suffered from cancer for 6 years and was somewhat down from the latest news she received, that her cancer had spread further. She can also speak of God’s Grace in her life. As we were talking a nurse walked up to our small group, she knew the woman that I was speaking to, so she encouraged us to continue to look to Christ in our difficult circumstances. As we talked I asked all of those in our small group if they would pray for my Oncologist. As I was speaking, a medical person, some 20 feet away, stood up from behind a counter and walked up to our small group. He said, “I heard you speaking about sharing the Gospel with your doctor, I want to let you know that I pray daily for your Oncologist to be saved.” This man was so encouraged to hear that we shared the Gospel and we were all encouraged to hear that he was doing the same through prayer.

The precious time we spent in the hospital was such a great blessing that Henrietta and I left the hospital rejoicing, overshadowing the less than good news we received ourselves with His Grace. It was as if God said, don’t look at your circumstances, look at Me.

Many times we see Gods hand in so many beautiful ways and feel blessed beyond words. I ask that you will also remember this doctor in your prayers. Jesus said himself “without me you can do nothing.” I can often feel that inability and realize that we can only bring the word of God to peoples ears, it is God who opens eyes, ears and heart to save sinners by His Grace. Mark 1:15 Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

In regards to my treatments, I am 6 days into my 4 week round of Chemo and still feel pretty good. The side effects so far have been minimal, what a blessing it is to be able to eat, sleep, and walk. We continue to pray for complete healing and believe that God can do this. We read in the Bible that Jesus called Lazarus out of his grave after he was dead for 3 days and many other such miracles, it would only take a few words from Jesus to heal me. He can still perform these same miracles today.

Thank you again for your prayers and many other ways of showing your care. May God’s blessings go with you each day.
John

2 comments:

  1. Mr. VanWoerden, I am so encouraged by you and your trust and faith in God. As I read your posts, I often wish that I could sit at your feet and listen to you and learn from you. Thank-you for not only spreading God's Word shamelessly to those who have never really heard it, but also for encouraging those of us who are younger in the faith to press on and to remember that our God truly is a good God, no matter what happens. Our family continues to pray for your complete healing.
    Love Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John & Henrietta:

    Thanks again for keeping us abreast with your physical and spiritual journey of life. Yes, our Lord knows us most perfectly and at times it is as if He sends people to encourage us like angels who are ministering spirits sent to minister to those who are heirs of salvation. Heb. 1:14.

    It seems that our bodies and spirits are closely connected since what we experience from the Lord in our hearts we experience in our bodies of clay as well. In this life we are still in the flesh and have to deal with those weaknesses as well.

    John Newton, when looking back over his life, and how God had spared him miraculously many times through the days of his rebellion and the trials of life, penned "Amazing Grace". It seems quite a parallel with the Apostle Paul and his trails of life listed in 2 Corinthians 11. But it is especially the lines

    Through many dangers, toils and snares
    I have already come...

    that speak to us personally of our own dangers, toils and snares we have come through by the grace and power of God. Yes brother, it is Grace that goes before us, Grace that walks beside us, Grace that follows us, and provides special grace for our special days and moments when we need it most. Knowing that He has brought us through all our dangers, toils and snares, is all the more reason to trust Him more in our present circumstances for

    "tis grace that brought me safe thus far
    And grace will lead me home..

    He is faithful Who has promised and as our Good Shepherd has loved us so much He died for us to give us salvation and life forevermore. And it is He who knows us as His children. He knows our desires and our pains, and it is often through ways of dangers, toils and snares that He reveals His Father heart more fully to us and makes us rejoice in Him so that

    my voice shall sing and my tongue shall tell that His love endures forever. Ps. 136.

    The Lord has promised good to me...
    His word my hope secures.
    He will my shield and portion be...
    as long as life endures.

    The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
    The sun forbear to shine
    But God Who called me here below
    Will be forever mine

    Praying for your full recovery,
    love

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete