2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 19 November 2011

I lift up my eyes to the hills. Psalm 121

This week has been difficult to say the least. On Tuesday I started vomiting and each day it got worse to the point that I have been unable to take my Chemo pills. Even if I would take them they would not stay in. It is as if my body tells me, this is enough, no more pills of any kind.

Friday we discussed it with my oncologist and he advised me to stop taking chemo for now. This means that I am finished a week earlier than planned. No, it is not a good thing in regards to the chemo treatments because they are made to be taken for 28 days consecutively. He also suggested checking into the hospital to get an IV to settle down my stomach because I was unable to take in any food. We did this Friday afternoon, I do feel a little better now and hope that I can start eating a little again. Sometimes we are forced to make choices, in this case there was no option.

As I lay sick in bed this week I meditated much on the fact that if I would have to give up Chemo treatments the cancer would advance. At least that’s what crossed my mind. On the other hand I also know that I can’t continue this way, at least not for now. Then I thought, this is what God wants, He wants me to depend on Christ and not on man or chemo pills. Psalm 118: 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.

I need much faith to go forward, looking to Jesus Christ. I pray that I will not waiver in my faith although I have to admit it is difficult at times. The only thing left is God, this is a good thing because He is capable of doing great things, including healing me. No doctor or medicine would get the honour, just God.

Thank you for the outpouring of love in so many different ways, also for my birthday this week.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. Romans 15:13
God bless you

John

5 comments:

  1. Dear John & Henrietta,
    May you find all you need in the shelter of His Wings.....with Christian love and prayers, John, Jen and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr & Mrs. Van Woerden, we're sorry for the agony this disease brings to you all. Yet, we thank the Lord for the faithful witness He has made you to be for us. May He continue to give you daily/hourly strength both in body and soul. Thank you for sharing honestly but always for His honor. With much love, Steve & Leanne O and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time !!we know that ultimately God holds us all in the palm of His hands and there is nothing that He does not know about~~so grateful that you are leaning on Him ~~praying you get your strength back in every area of your life!!may God comfort and bless you and your family~~Esther and Harry Fast

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying the Lord will continue to uphold you both and praising Him for your witness. Thanks for sharing, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear John & Henrietta:

    Sometimes words fail us to express what we feel for you, but Scripture is always full of wisdom and instruction:
    Hebrews 4
    14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[f] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

    Often we do not have the answers to life's puzzles and certainly not to the mind of God how He leads His children in diverse ways. Job was not aware of God's deal with the devil, and so we don't know God's design in all His providences in our lives, but we do know it is for our good.

    I found this song by Scott Wesley Brown to be of some help and we share it with you. Perhaps it may be some comfort and help.

    You have faced the mountains of desperation
    You have climbed, you have fought, you have won
    But this valley that lies coldly before you
    Casts a shadow you cannot overcome

    And just when you thought you had it all together
    You knew every verse to get you through
    But this time the sorrow broke more than just your heart
    And reciting all those verses just won't do

    When answers aren't enough, there is Jesus
    He is more than just an answer to your prayer
    And your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge
    When answers aren't enough, He is there

    Instead of asking why did it happen
    Think of where it can lead you from here
    And as your pain is slowly easing, you can find a greater reason
    To live your life triumphant through the tears

    When answers aren't enough, there's still Jesus
    He is more than just an answer to your prayer
    And your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge
    When answers aren't enough, He is there

    love

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete