2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Monday 26 November 2012

I received nothing I wanted, I received everything I needed !

I sat in church on Sunday listening to our pastor expounding Scripture on the life of Paul and his encounter with God on the way to Damascus. I came to the conclusion that my challenges are not even coming close to those of Paul who, after a confrontation with God and his conversion, became a true disciple of Jesus and faced many hardships that are described in 2 Corinthians 11: 25

Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.
Yet despite all this Paul laboured on for his Lord.

We all face challenges in life and we don’t always see them as God intervening in our lives for our good. At first when I was diagnosed with cancer I could not see it either and at times wondered what God had in mind. I have come to the conclusion that cancer in my life has become a blessing in many ways, at the same time we continue to pray for healing. Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.

We should never try to figure out how God is going to answer our prayers. Trust that God will answer prayer, He promises in the Bible multiple times and in different ways that He "hears the needy when they cry" and that "whatsoever we ask of the Father in His name He will give it to us". Whatever circumstances you find yourself in, remind God of his own promises. Hebrews 10: 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.

Our lives appear to revolve around my cancer, last week we visited with the radiation Oncologist and on November 20 I started a series of 5 radiation treatments to hopefully shrink the cancer on my spine. I received one treatment every day, today being the last one. Last week it got to the point that the cancer in my spine really started to give me much discomfort and pain. I was told today by the radiation oncologist that some patients with Kidney cancer don’t respond to radiation treatments. Each time I get this kind of news I can only look to Christ, He can do miracles. This week I will have another visit with my Oncologist in Vancouver.

The journey with cancer can be challenging, however what a difference it is when God is in it, I couldn't imagine these turbulent times without Him. Many of you have challenges in life; please never forget that God has a purpose for every life, which becomes a real adventure for those willing to cooperate. Just look at Paul, he faithfully followed the call from his Master and Lord and became a pillar of faith to those whom he ministered too. I pray that you will have the same courage and dedication for Jesus in your life as Paul did.

Thank you for your care and tokens of love in so many ways. God be with you.
Remember, the best things in life are not things!
John

I asked for strength: and God gave me difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for wisdom: and God gave me problems to solve.
I asked for prosperity and God gave me brain and brawn to work.
I asked for courage and God gave me danger to overcome.
I asked for favours and God gave me opportunities.
I received nothing I wanted: I received everything I needed!



2 comments:

  1. Oh so true dear brother! So thankful for you and Henrietta!

    Hugs to both of you, and God bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you, and give you the peace that passes all understanding!

    Love Henry and Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John and Henrietta~~our prayers are soooo with you two!!God has promised He would never leave us nor forsake us!!just knowing He holds us all in the palm of His hands~ is so reassuring isnt it !!like you said how does one go thru trials without our dear Lord ?? God be near you !! Esther and Harry

    ReplyDelete