2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 30 March 2013

A reason and season to be joyful

“He has risen” Mark 16:6 heralds this beautiful message. What a blessing if this message applies to you personally. After Jesus was risen from the dead he gave us all a great task in verse 15 ”Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation." A task we can never take too lightly because Jesus commanded it and is expecting it from you and me.

Personally I find Good Friday and Easter very special days where we find the heart of the Gospel. A reason to rejoice that Jesus died and rose again for me personally and I hope and pray that you experience this season in a similar way. I will never be able to comprehend it fully, yet I believe with all my heart that Jesus died for me too.

Last week I did not experience the joy that I should have, this week is the total opposite. Not only did the beautiful warm weather play a big role in it but also a crucified and risen Christ. Looking to Jesus gives me hope in hopeless times. I was able to work in the garden for several days, it made me tired but gave me joy that I was able to do it.

I thought at times that the Vancouver Cancer Clinic had put me aside and forgotten about me. Again the lack of faith can be so strong that it puts me to shame. I know that God never forsakes me and yet I appear to fall in that trap at times. On Wednesday I received a call that the testing that was done on the cancerous tumor that was removed 16 months ago tested positive for the protein called “MET”. In many cases testing positive is not a good thing, for me it is good this time. This means that I will once again receive Chemo treatments starting on April 16. On the one hand I am thankful, on the other hand I look up against it knowing what the side effects of Chemo can do.

This new trial is only used on 21- 110 patients in North America and I am one of them. It targets the proteins that Kidney cancer produces thereby hopefully stunning or eradicating cancer growth. So yes, I am thankful to be part of this study and trial and pray for God’s blessing on it. Starting March 30 (today) I will start to undergo a regiment of tests beginning with a Bone scan, CT scan and Muga scan.

Starting on April 12, I will be spending most of that week at the Vancouver Cancer Clinic, some days up to 13 hours a day to take blood tests every 2 hours, seeing doctors and the Oncologist and undergoing other testing. It is going to be very busy. In all these things I need God’s help and strength and realise each day that I can’t go through all this without Him.

In the last weeks I have been feeling my energy level dropping, getting tired quicker and slowly losing weight. Although I continue to eat and sleep well I can feel that the cancer takes its toll on my body. Never the less I need to look onward and upward, that is where my and your help comes from.

I end this posting wishing you a blessed Easter, a time of joy and thankfulness to our Saviour Jesus Christ who rescues sinners and raises them to everlasting life in Him. Hallelujah What a Saviour! Thank you for your prayers and so many ways of showing your care.
May you be a blessing to many and many a blessing to you.
John


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Praying God will give you much needed physical strength to endure all the tests and treatments, and an extra measure of grace & peace spiritually. Blessed Easter to you & the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray for you and Henrietta as you walk this path. Keep your eyes fixed on HIM. We will lift you up tonight as we gather for family worship.

    In HIS love,
    Camille (for Howie and the family)
    Isaiah 43:1b-3a

    ReplyDelete