2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 16 March 2013

In the hollow of God's hand

There is really no change in regards to my illness with cancer. I try to live my life day by day looking to God for continued strength. It gives me mixed feelings when I hear of many people suffering and dying from cancer and other serious deceases. On the one hand it makes me sad and I realize each day how fragile I am and that life is indeed like a vapor that comes and disappears. On the other hand it gives me a deep appreciation for life, thankfulness and peace that my life is resting in the hollow of Gods hand. 

In this blog entry I would like to give encouragement to those who are suffering from cancer. Judging by the statistics that one in four people will suffer from some form of cancer, I feel that I need to encourage you. I want to include all people that suffer from other serious and life threatening diseases or injuries. I want to tell you that here is hope, also for you.

Last week Henrietta and I had the opportunity to attend a conference from Kidney Cancer Canada. It was a worthwhile day with knowledgeable speakers and a lot of good information. It was also an opportunity to meet many people who are also inflicted with Kidney cancer. I met patients with great fear, anxiety, disbelief, but also patients with hope. I thought about the people I met and felt the need to write to those without hope.

A diagnosis of cancer is a terrible thing. When we hear those dreaded words, "I'm sorry, but it is cancer," most of us immediately go into full panic mode. We wonder what we will do, we wonder how long we have to live, we wonder who will care for our loved ones while we are sick or if we die, we wonder how much pain we will be in...and the list goes on! We "wonder," but what we are really doing is worrying. We can even wonder where God has gone, does He not realize what is happening?

Those of us with potentially fatal diseases - and there are millions in North America today- find ourselves in the odd position of coping with our mortality while trying to fathom God's will. So where is God when the diagnosis of cancer is given? He's right where He has always been, right by your side, ready to help you through the pain and suffering, ready to give you His healing touch and blessings. The question is, are you willing to surrender to God who allowed cancer to come into your life and who is so willing to help you through this difficult time and unpredictable illness.

If you are unfamiliar with God or the Bible I urge you to find a church where the Bible is explained in truth. If you want God to be your Guide you need to surrender to God and lay your needs before Him,confess your sins and believe on Him. There are many examples in the Bible that leads people like yourself to Christ. Here is one from Romans 10.

Romans 10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Personally my hope is not in the doctors, oncologists and countless other medical experts. However, I must say that I believe that God will use these people and their medical knowledge and can surely bless their efforts.  My hope is in God who made Heaven and Earth and created you and me. It is God who holds the keys to life and death, nothing happens outside of Gods will.

God's presence in the face of cancer is miraculous! As you come to terms with the diagnosis of cancer or some other serious disease, remember that God is right there, waiting for you to call on Him. Psalm 50:15 "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."   Don't let fear overcome you, but pray instead for God's presence and the comfort of His loving care. You too can lean on the everlasting arms of Jesus.

Picture yourself in a hospital bed. The fog of anesthesia has begun to wear away. A doctor stands at your feet; a loved one holds your hand at the side. "It's cancer," the doctor announces. The natural reaction is to turn to God and ask him "Dear God, make it all go away." This is our human nature, we don’t want to suffer or go through difficult times. I suggest you also ask God to give you His strength and bless this time for yourself and others as you go through the furnace of affliction, you will be amazed by the blessings that God will pour on you. Your sorrow will draw you closer to God, closer to those you love, closer to issues that matter.

The day is coming when diseases will be no more. When you have Christ as your Saviour, death and tears will no longer exist in eternity. Your tears of today will be wiped away and turn into joy on the day when you enter into Glory with Jesus.

I would love to visit you if you are struggling, or if you know of someone who is struggling with cancer or some other disease or issues. I know I am only another man that is afflicted with cancer, but sometimes we just need someone to come along side for encouragement and I am willing to do that. Feel free to contact me at johnvanwoerden@yahoo.com If the distance is to big feel free to write or call.

Most of us have watched friends as they drifted toward God's arms with peace and hope. In so doing, they have taught us not how to die, but how to live.
Psalm 8: 4 "What is man that Thou art mindful of him"? We don't know much, but we know this: No matter where we are, no matter what we do, no matter how bleak or frightening our prospects, each and every one of us, each and every day, lies in the same safe place, in the hollow of God's hand.
John

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.
 
O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment