2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 2 March 2013

Two years later

Today I looked back, first to the day that I was diagnosed, then one year and now two years later. I went back and read what I wrote on each of the mentioned dates. March 4, 2011 that is when the word came to me personally with the message, “you shall surely die”. This short sentence can be found 11 times in the ESV Bible. This is a sentence that nobody wants to hear, yet one day we will face it.

Two years ago on March 4, 2011 my doctor stood across from me with tears in his eyes and said, John you have terminal cancer and one year to live, maybe a little more. After that he sat down, looked at me and continued, humanly speaking there is no hope of healing for you, but God can do great things. Pray for complete healing and I will do the same. How thankful I was to have a Christian doctor. It gave me much courage right from the start.

In the two years that lay behind me I travelled through some deep valleys, often times bodily but also spiritually, yet I can only say that God has been so good to me and Henrietta. It has taught me much about God, His grace, love and infinite mercy and much good has come out of this journey with cancer. Before I was diagnosed I never or rarely thought that I would travel the road I am presently on, yet here I am on a road with a sign at the beginning “you shall surely die”. 

JOHN NEWTON (1725-1807) used this beautiful example: The other day I was at Deptford, and saw a ship launched: she slipped easily into the water; the people on board shouted; the ship looked clean―she was freshly painted, and her colors flying. But I looked at her with a sort of pity: “Poor ship,” I thought, “you are now in port and in safety; but before long you must go to sea. Who can tell what storms you may meet with hereafter, and to what hazards you may be exposed; how weather-beaten you may be before you return to port again.”

This is so true, we will never know what stormy seas await us. One thing is sure, if Jesus is your Captain you will be safe. No matter how storms may howl, how rough the seas may be, He will never leave you or forsake you.

I have no idea who the readers of this blog are, I do know however that they are from all over the world and that many people log in each day to read what is written here and that each of you will face your Creator sooner or later, God Himself. No matter if we live a life of luxury or poverty, we all have the same warning sign at the beginning of our road “you shall surely die”.

The question is, how will you stand before God? Redeemed by Jesus or Guilty? If indeed you are redeemed by the blood of Jesus, “you shall surely live eternally.” If guilty, then today is the day of Salvation, repent and believe on Christ.

This week I finished the five radiation treatments I started last week. It caused an increase in pain which hopefully will subside in the next days. I have not received any word yet in regards to future Chemotherapy treatments. I do know the tests are being worked on and that I should receive more information soon.

I want to thank all of you who so faithfully pray for us for healing, strength and courage. Thank you for emailing, leaving messages on this blog, cards,phone calls and visits. Your care deeply humbles us. The Lord bless you and keep you all.

With much thankfulness to God I stand before year number three with more cancer in my body than the last two years. What it will bring I do not know, I do know that God never makes mistakes and even though I have more cancer than other years, God can heal, that I know and believe with all my heart. To Him be the Glory.
John

In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear.
And safe in such confiding, for nothing changes here.
The storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid,
But God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?
 
Wherever He may guide me, no want shall turn me back.
My Shepherd is beside me, and nothing can I lack.
His wisdom ever waking, His sight is never dim.
He knows the way He’s taking, and I will walk with Him.
 
Green pastures are before me, which yet I have not seen.
Bright skies will soon be over me, where darkest clouds have been.
My hope I cannot measure, my path to life is free.
My Savior has my treasure, and He will walk with me.

Anna L. Waring

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much John, for another God glorifying message. We continue to join you in praying for healing. Jeremiah 32:17 Ah, Lord God! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wishing you God's continued nearness, help and strenght. It's been a long road, but not travelled alone, thankfully. Will continue to pray for you and Henrietta and the family. Lean hard on your LORD, for He is able to do far above what we can ask or think! God bless you and keep you.
    Love Henry and Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John, This is the first time I've read your blog, and I wish I had found it earlier. You are the one dealing with cancer, and yet you are such an encouragement and witness to others! Although we too, are dealing with cancer, I have felt more comforted than comfort to others. This passage from Zechariah 13 is amazing to think about: " And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God." Even though the way may be hard, HE will take us by the hand and bring us through it, and purify us through it! Really?! He will purify us, sinful, worthless, made of dust creatures into something precious and valuable?! What an honour! May He continue to give you strength and peace and words that bring glory to Him!
    With our love & prayers, Rick & Marsha Span

    ReplyDelete