2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 6 April 2013

What will it profit

Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

I believe that the Bible is truth. As usual I write what is on my mind and in my heart; this is what really stands out to me today.

Reality brought it home in a big way when I visited Henrietta’s mother in the full care home where she now resides. From my days in business I recognised people who now live in this care home. People that have or had much wealth and prosperity in this world sit down together for supper with those who led simple lives with little or nothing to show for. Often in a state of early dementia, earthly possessions mean nothing anymore because most folks in that home would not even be able to count out 10 dollars due to deterioration of the mind. This is indeed our earthly future, if we live that long. It showed me clearly that gone are the days of glamour, pride, ownership of “things” and possessions.

It may sound like that I condemn to own anything in this world, this is actually not so. I too do own things, but how important are they to us. Are they your everything, do they take up every hour of your life? Lately the appeal to have “things” is less and less desirable. I see much futility in it and when I walk into stores or see the way “things” are marketed or advertised I wonder why so many people go head over heels over the “things” that we can easily do without and often neglect their own souls.

The reason for my message or maybe I should call it “ reality check” is that in the last weeks I feel weaker, tired and sometimes worn out realizing more and more that life is fragile and that possessions in this world is not the answer to happiness. I also want to convey the good news of the Gospel and that life in Jesus Christ is the foremost thing we must keep ourselves busy with, nothing else will do.

So what is true happiness? The Bible uses these words to express happiness in Psalm 146: 5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God.

Charles Spurgeon also said it in a few words. “I bear my testimony that there is no joy to be found in this entire world like that of sweet communion with Christ. I would barter all else there is of heaven for that. Indeed, that is heaven. As for the harps of gold and the streets like clear glass and the songs of seraphs and the shouts of the redeemed, one could very well give all these up, counting them as a drop in a bucket, if we might forever live in fellowship and communion with Jesus.”

I hope and pray that if God is not part of your life that you must not wait to seek Him, you will find Jesus because that is His promises in Matthew 7:7
This week has been quiet in terms of medical tests and we were able to go away for few days together. Just quietness and being together is a great blessing.

Next week Friday is when the majority of the testing starts for one whole week straight. Please pray for strength and a blessing on the testing and that I will be able to tolerate the Chemo treatments that start on the 16th of April. There have been times in the past when I had to stop Chemo treatments due to severe side effects. I pray that this time all goes well and that I will be able to tolerate it. I will try to post on this blog next week but due to testing and spending much of my time in Vancouver there may be a gap.
 
God be with you and bless you all. Thank you for your love and many ways you show your care.
John
I counted all my dollars while God counted crosses;
I counted gains while he counted losses;
I counted my worth by the things gained in store,
But he sized me up by the scars that I bore.
I coveted honors and sought for degrees;
He wept as He counted the hours on my knees.
I never knew till one day by a grave
How vain are the things that we spend life to save.
I did not know till a friend went above
That richest is he who is rich in God's love.
Author Unknown

7 comments:

  1. Amen! How true John - praying for God's strength and blessings as you face the testing and chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your witness of our only hope for real joy and peace in this life and for the life hereafter, our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the only way, truth and life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks John for your witness to our only hope in this life, for real peace and joy that can only be found in knowing our Lord Jesus Christ. Wishing you the comfort of His presence. Pete & Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing that a person doesn't realize what it means to be rich until they are sick. God will get our attention. God does not want something from you, but He has something for you. God bless His work in you, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear John~praying for you as go in for the week of tests!!Praying for strength as you go thru this !!thank you again for the reminder to all of us that this world is not our home ~~we came with nothing and we leave with nothing but our souls!!! God bless you and your family !!with much love and prayers ~Harry and Esther

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said John. True life and true living is a matter of setting our spritual matters and relationship with our Lord and Savior as a first priority. We wish you strength and grace as you continue your treatments and look to the Lord for His blessing and healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for posting John. We are praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete