2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 13 April 2013

When my heart is overwhelmed.

Do you ever have days where you feel completely inadequate to do what’s been asked of you? Days when you want to throw in the towel. Maybe it’s your job, parenting, marriage, finances, a relationship, health or other responsibilities.

I have more moments where I feel inadequate than I care to admit, but as much as I dislike moments where I feel inadequate or overwhelmed, they have become somewhat of a blessing. Sometimes you have to get down to nothing before you’ll believe that you need to rely on God. If you are having one of those moments I encourage you to get on your knees for whatever it is you’re struggling with.

On Friday we spent the day at the Vancouver Cancer clinic and Vancouver General Hospital for scans. The results should be forthcoming early next week. Without sounding pessimistic but facing reality I must say that I don’t expect good news from the scans that I received in the last week.

On Monday the week of medical testing is starting in earnest with the first Chemo treatment on Tuesday. We will spend the majority of the week in Vancouver and also staying overnight due to the 12 –13 hour days of testing. It would be too tiring to try to come home for the night.

Despite all the comforts that are offered to us, despite the excellent medical care I receive, despite all the good intensions and loving care, my heart is at times overwhelmed as in Psalm 61:2, but then the text continues on to read “ lead me to the Rock that is higher than I”. Jesus Christ himself, that is where you and I can hide, where we can find comfort when the heart is overwhelmed. 

I can only throw myself at the mercy of God and feel the comfort of the text that friends wrote on my blog today from Isaiah 43 "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. 3 For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

God bless you all and make you a blessing at all times.
John
  

2 comments:

  1. be filled with His peace, thanks for sharing. prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful verse praying it will remain with you both through this difficult week. May you feel God's nearness, strength and unfailing love. Will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete