2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 11 May 2013

Hope

Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God. Psalm 146:5

What are you hoping for today? For many it’s an improvement in the economy or anxiety regarding job security or building a financial savings or “security” net for retirement. For others, concerns are related to health issues that you or a member of your family is dealing with and you’re hoping for a brighter tomorrow. Some of you may have incredible brokenness in your home and you’re desperately looking for signs of hope that will lead to family unity.

Maybe you hope for world peace or a medical breakthrough for a debilitating health matter. Maybe you put your hope in a caring friend, counselor or a pastor who will be of help to you in dealing with a critical problem. God may indeed use these people, but what is your hope really in.

The Psalmist made a great statement of faith concerning the one who is truly blessed. “Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God.” Regardless of where we live or what conditions we are dealing with, we are indeed blessed if our hope is in the Lord! I encourage you to commit your life and worries to God and place your hope fully in Him. Let your trust in God be the bridge that transports you safely over the sea of doubt, fear, and worry.

It may sound to you that I am totally free from these things in life. The truth is, I am not. I have my difficult times and doubts at times. I also know doubt can increase at troublesome times in one’s life. I also know that my only refuge is to flee to Christ that is where we will find shelter from the storms in this life.

We gathered as family last week and said our farewells to our mother who passed away, I could not help but think of the storms that she endured in life but now is at peace with her Lord and Saviour. May you have that peace of God, which surpasses all understanding that will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus ( Philippians 4:7).

I am more than three weeks into my Chemo treatments. In the past I had to deal with many discomforts from side effects of Chemo treatments, this time it is a sharp increase in muscle pain. About 3% of patients that use this type of Chemo treatment get muscle aches and pain. I am one of them; giving me much discomfort and at times I don’t know what to do about the pain. Walking is difficult at times and most other positions are not much better. Lying down is by far the best option but I can’t do that all day. The Oncologist has now put me on pain medication which makes me sleepy and tired. It helps but the muscle spasms and pain continue. I am afraid that this will be the case as long as I am treated with this type of Chemo.

At the end of May I will receive several scans to see the results of 6 weeks of Chemo treatments. I pray for positive results. In difficult times I try to focus much on Romans 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Be encouraged, whatever your state in life may be, God makes no mistakes and He knows your needs.
John


Do not look to your hope, but to Christ, the source of your hope.
 C.H. Spurgeon


1 comment:

  1. Hi John,
    Yes my hope is in Christ too and that is awesome!He is our Rock and Strong Tower. Pretty pitiful if only we look to ourselves for hope. Bless you John and continue to minister Hope to a hopeless world. We pray God's continued love and healing over you and Henrietta.

    Bill V.O.

    ReplyDelete