2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 18 May 2013

The setting sun

Luke 4:40 Now when the sun was setting, all those who had any who were sick with various diseases brought them to him (Jesus) , and he laid his hands on every one of them and healed them.

This week has been a difficult week with much pain making it very difficult to walk and sit. The only way to be somewhat comfortable is taking pain medication and lying down. It is not something I prefer to do because I like to be somewhat productive but really had no choice this week. The pain became so unbearable on Friday that after consulting my Oncologist we decided to take a 7 day break from Chemo treatments. Hopefully this will ease the pain and discomfort in my muscles and heal my left leg that now has an infection of some kind, some doctors say it may be Cellulites or infected arteries. On Thursday my right arm failed to function properly for about an hour, it did go back to normal but the Oncologist does want to scan the brain next week to be sure it does not come from the brain.

The text in Luke 4:40 paints a beautiful picture. The setting sun and healing of the sick by Jesus. For myself I see the setting of the sun as a life slowly drawing to a close, the healing of the sick, like myself, may not be the healing we hope and pray for but the Eternal healing. There are times when I look forward to that Eternal healing. It is days like this that weigh heavy on me, sometimes the pain makes it even difficult to pray or read the Bible when Henrietta does it for me, what a blessing it is to love the Lord together as man and wife.

When Lords Supper was held this last Sunday in our church I rejoiced when Pastor Terry invited those to take part of this Lords Supper with this text from Matthew11: 28 “Come to me (Jesus), all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

With much pain in my body and joy in my heart I knew that Jesus spoke to me. I was the one who was heavy laden, seeking rest. I know that His yoke is easy and His burden is light when Jesus is carries our load with us. I know that He heals broken hearted ones and that those that seek His rest will find it.

I hope that you personally seek that Rest, Hope and Eternal life in Christ Jesus. John 6:37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

Next week will be a busy week with a Muga (heart) Scan, CT Scan and Bone Scan. The week following I hope to get the results of being 5 weeks on Chemo. We are praying for comfort and peace, whatever the outcome maybe.

I need to thank so many of you for the cards, emails, calls and tokens of love in regards to the passing of Henrietta’s mother but also those addressed to us personally.
Thank you and God bless you wherever you are and whatever your circumstances are.
John

Our Lord does not promise to change life for us; He does not promise to remove difficulties and trials and problems and tribulations; He does not say that He is going to cut out all the thorns and leave the roses with their wonderful perfume. No; He faces life realistically, and tells us that these are things to which the flesh is heir, and which are bound to come. But He assures us that we can so know Him that, whatever happens, we need never be frightened, we need never be alarmed.
 D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment