2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Friday 31 May 2013

What shall we ask God to do ?

This week I received a devotion by email from J.R. Miller. I will share it with you.

"We do not know what we should pray for as we ought" Romans 8:26

A pastor sat with a father and mother by the bed of a child who was hovering between life and death. He was about to pray for the little sufferer, and turning to the parents he asked, "What shall we ask God to do?" After some moments the father answered, with deep emotion: "I would not dare to choose. Leave it to God."

Would it not be better always to leave the decision to God, letting Him choose what is best for Him to do for us, or to give to us? We are not in the world to always have ease and pleasure, to always succeed, to do great things--we are here to grow into strength and beauty of life and character, to accomplish the will of God, and to have that will wrought out in our own life. Often times the present must be sacrificed for the future, the earthly given up to gain the Heavenly, and pain endured for the sake of spiritual refining and enriching.
Christ does not seek to take away the burden but rather, He would make us strong and brave to bear it.

If we are willing to let God choose for us, and accept what He gives we shall never fail to receive the best. Perhaps not what the world would call the best, but always God's best. We do not know what we should pray for as we ought, and we had better leave it to God.

We should be content to leave the guidance and choices of our lives in His hands. Think how wise He is knowing all things, knowing how to choose the best for us. Who does not know that this is better, safer and wiser than if we were to choose the way for ourselves?

The truest prayer is often times that in which we lay into the bosom of God and rest there in silence. We do not know what to ask, and we dare not say even a word, lest it might be the wrong word, hence we simply wait before God in quietness and confidence. We know that what is best, our Fathers will, and we trust Him to do what He will.

We are sure that God could relieve us of the things which are so hard for us to bear, if He desired to. This is God's world, and nothing can get out of His hands or control. All we have to do is to lay our need before the throne of mercy, and to let God answer us as He will.
 
J.R. Miller

On a personal note that question is often in my heart. “What do I ask the Lord to do?" On Monday afternoon we visited my Oncologist in Vancouver. In a somewhat subdued voice he gave me the latest update on the scans that were made the week before. The news and scan analysis did not come as complete surprise but more like a confirmation of the way I have been feeling lately.
The news was that the Chemo Therapy treatments will be stopped immediately because they are not doing any good at all. The cancer continues to progress and it appears to advance even faster in the last five weeks.

Several spots on the spine are progressing, there is also a new tumor on the top of the spine/neck area. This tumor is most likely contributing to the intense pain that I am experiencing at times, traveling into my shoulder and arm. Also the top of the femur bone showed an increase in size, right in the area where it joins the pelvis, making walking difficult.

Other areas also showed an increase in cancer, like some of the ribs among others. A more detailed report is forthcoming from the CT Scan. Because of the seriousness of the cancer in the spine, a rush appointment was made with the Radiation Oncologist on Tuesday and on Wednesday I received the first of five radiation treatments for five consecutive days.

What should I ask God to do? I have considered this question many times lately. In the last couple of days I have come to the conclusion that I need to give it all over into His hands, not just some parts of it, but completely surrender to God. No one on this earth is able to stop this cancer from growing, something I already knew right from the day I was diagnosed with cancer. I truly believe that God can still do a miracle but the reality is that we all must leave this earth one day and meet our Maker. For me that appears to be sooner than I had prayed for. However, I do have peace with the ways that God is dealing with me. There are times I struggle to leave it all into God hands, I also know that God will do what is best for me and to glorify Him. This is not about me, it’s about the glory of God.

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

I covet your prayers for strength and endurance to run the race as written in Hebrews 12 1-2. Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Thank you for the many ways in which you have shown your love and compassion.
John


Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land.
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven,
Feed me till I want no more.

3 comments:

  1. Well John, sometimes the best thing to say as comfort to you is also nothing. Know that we do think of you and Henrietta. This I will say, "God knows where you dwell". I know that you will be going to see Jesus who died for you and that is comforting. I pray that you feel His love and strength during the days ahead.
    love
    Bill V.O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John.Thinking of you and Henrietta in these difficult days.I am so glad that we don't get to decide when we or our loved one, will leave this earth. I flip flop constantly between the two choices and don't know what would be best and then I'm comforted by the thought that the day has already been decided by our God who loves us and knows what's best for us.Praying for you, Lena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious friends, please know that you are in our prayers. The LORD is Good. Always. May He comfort you day by day and moment by moment and continue to give you peace that passes all understanding. Isaiah 43:1b-3a is SO precious at times like these. May the LORD bless these promises to both your hearts at this most trying of times. Much Love, Camille for Howie and the children.

    ReplyDelete