2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Friday 15 June 2012

Why on Earth am I here for.......

Has this question ever entered your mind? To tell you the truth, many years ago that thought did enter my mind. However since that time I have found the answers to this question. When travelling this week to the hospital and the Vancouver Cancer Centre in Vancouver I had many opportunities to listen to radio ministries, many had good messages. There was one that stood out titled” What on Earth am I here for”. This message was brought by Dr. David Jeremiah, it spoke to me and I hope it will speak to you too.
We all get attached to “things” to some level, possessions, family or other things. I am not free from these attachments, however I must say that lately these things mean less and less to me. With the seriousness of my cancer I could be facing Eternity soon.

Have you ever thought about your future? Are you not facing the same Eternity as I am? The question is where will you spend Eternity. You will not take your “toys” or any possessions with you. I would like you to spend the next 20 minutes listening to Dr. David Jeremiah. It could make a huge difference in your life. I have had the urge in the past to write about this subject, there is however no need to re-invent the wheel. You can listen to the message here and it is much better than I can say it. It again put things in perspective for me, I am sure it will for you, no matter if you are healthy or sick, rich or poor, it’s a message for all. Also worthwhile watching is the video I posted, it tells a story of its own.

Henrietta and I had a very tiring and busy week going back and forth every day (except Wednesday) to Vancouver. I received many different types of scans, tests and blood tests to the point that I really had enough for a few weeks. I got so many scans that I received a special letter to get me across the USA border. I was told that I am now radioactive for some days and unable to pass the border scanners without the bells and whistles going off. The folks at the hospital almost made it sound like I might glow like a glow worm for the next days.

Not only was this week tiring physically but also mentally. Many questions were asked, many answers were given. By Friday I received the green light to go ahead with the Clinical trial Chemo Therapy. Had I failed any of the criteria or tests I would not have qualified for this Clinical Trial. We thank the Lord for strength He gave this week and also the opportunity to receive the Chemo treatments and the second to none Medical provisions that we enjoy. I stand amazed every time again how smooth and professional our Medical system works. God is so good.

Today was my first day of taking 5 Chemo pills, 5 days on 2 days off and this will go on indefinitely unless I cannot tolerate the treatments. I hope and pray that no problems arise.
God blessed us also with meeting some people this week, people that did not know anything about the Gospel. It’s always a challenge, especially when other religions like Islam enter into the conversation. It is a good thing that we can only bring it to the ears, God will do the rest.

I still feel very good, no pain, no discomfort of any kind. I am very thankful that God is taking me down this road instead of one with much discomfort and pain. We pray for healing and that the road we travel may also be a blessing to many others. Thank you again for so much care and love shown in personal ways, cards, prayers and calls.

Be blessed and be a blessing.
John



4 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. & Mrs. Van Woerden and family, May the Lord continue to bless you and use you to be a blessing to many others. You are in our prayers. with love, Steve & Leanne O and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful way to live life, getting the big picture. continuing to send prayers up on your behalf. also, a very encouraging point to mention that it is not our work to save others (or to be trying) but just to plant seeds and let the Spirit do the rest. blessings as you continue treatment and meet people whose lives you touch. in heaven, the picture of those touches will be even bigger -- like the continual feeling of when someone you know comes to the Lord.
    ♥ the vandepols

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful John!!!

    Praying the LORD of heaven and earth will bless the treatments to the healing of your body, and support, and give you the strength to go through them!

    Psalm 91.

    Love Henry and Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the LORD continually be glorified in and through you both! God is Great. He can do anything. All He does is right and good. We pray for you that you will know His peace and comfort and that you will be a blessing to many along this path. We also pray, if it be the Lord's will, that He will heal you completely. What a comfort it is to know that His ways are higher than ours. He holds you and carries you. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Continue to preach Truth to yourselves...there is much comfort to be found there.

    Many Blessings,
    Camille (for Howie and the children)
    Jeremiah 29:11-14a

    ReplyDelete