2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Monday 21 January 2013

In His time

In His time, In His Time
He makes all things beautiful in His time.
Lord please show me every day
As your teaching me Your way
That You do just what You say
In Your time

When we rejoice in the Lord and get to that deep abiding joy it becomes our strength. When we worry, mutter, and complain about our lives we are not really trusting in God. When we don't trust and are fearful of the, “what ifs”, we can't enjoy His joy.

I have been thinking much in the last weeks about the “what ifs”. As we walked along the river today, soaking up the sun and with a feeling of spring in the air, I could not help but feel sad. Sad cause of the “what ifs” Thoughts entered my mind of the time that lies ahead, how long will I be able to walk side by side with Henrietta and enjoy our family and life. Silent prayers often arise from within for more strength and more time and I need to add to that, more joy.

In the moments of the “what ifs” little joy is in my heart, yet I know I must be thankful and joyful in the Lord for His great mercies and blessings on me and all of my family. The thoughts of the "what ifs" rob me from joy. Joy is a far too precious and often appears a rare commodity. Worry, fear, and doubt always takes away our joy.

Focusing on God, who He is, and His love, fills up our joy tank. The joy of the Lord is our strength (Nehemiah 8:10). Whoever you are, please pray that nothing in this life will rob you of your joy in Christ Jesus.

I often ponder on the words that Paul spoke in Philippians 1: 21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. (Then Paul finishes by saying) My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.

Deep in my heart I can say the same as Paul , yet my loved ones mean so much to me at this time. One thing that I have and Paul did not, was a wife, children and grandchildren. Maybe that is why Paul spoke so freely about these things.

This week has been a good week without pain. I can feel things inside of me happening and changing; I just don’t know what it is. Sometimes those feelings lead to the “what ifs”. I have not made a decision in regards to more Chemo treatments. Neither have I heard anything so far from my Oncologist in regards to the new Chemo trial. I do expect a call somewhere around the end of January.

Although I have received suggestions from my Christian family doctor and others in and outside of the medical field, the final decision will rest with me. I continue to pray for an answer regarding this decision and especially pray that whatever decision is made that God will bless it.

Thank you for your continued prayers and the many ways in which you express your cares, thank you to those who take the time to email or contact me. It much encourages me.
John

The following song takes the “what ifs” away.

Teach me Thy way, O Lord, teach me Thy way!
Thy guiding grace afford, teach me Thy way!
Help me to walk aright, more by faith, less by sight;
Lead me with heavenly light, teach me Thy way!

When I am sad at heart, teach me Thy way!
When earthly joys depart, teach me Thy way!
In hours of loneliness, in times of dire distress,
In failure or success, teach me Thy way!

When doubts and fears arise, teach me Thy way!
When storms overspread the skies, teach me Thy way!
Shine through the cloud and rain, through sorrow, toil and pain;
Make Thou my pathway plain, teach me Thy way!

Long as my life shall last, teach me Thy way!
Wherever my lot be cast, teach me Thy way!
Until the race is run, until the journey’s done,
Until the crown is won, teach me Thy way!
(Ben­ja­min M. Ram­sey)

3 comments:

  1. God bless you two. God will give you the decision John, of that I'm sure.

    1 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
    2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
    3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
    4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
    5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John, My family and I are faithful followers and prayer warriors for you here in NJ. We may never meet face to face but someday we will. Recently the brevity and uncertainty of life has hit me especially hearing of a tragic accident in MI of a young father with 4 children similar to our family. Perhaps you heard as well. I am thankful to God for your ministry via this blog. Often I will read an entry on this blog which will allow me to pause and re-consider my priorities. Thanks for turning my vision heavenward and directing me continually to our Lord and Savior. God bless you John and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, our prayers are also with this young father and family.
      God bless you
      John

      Delete