2 Cor. 4 16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18







Saturday 5 January 2013

You are the Light of the world

A story is told of two gold miners who struck a rich vein of gold one day in California during the gold rush of 1849. They decided not to tell anyone and went into town for better mining equipment, but soon, the secret was out. Why? Their jubilation was written all over their faces!
Is Christ's joy written all over your face? Oh, how I pray each person reading this today will not hide what they have found in Jesus! People who see you should say , "I want what she has, I want what he has!" (Taken from Adrian Rogers-Love Worth Finding Ministries.)

Are you a Christian with a beaming face because of what Christ has done in your life? I want to encourage you to be a Light, a Light that shines brightly into the world. The world needs that Light because millions live on in darkness. God is that light, He loves light and without light there is no life. For the Christian, Jesus has a special job as He said in Mark 8:34 "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Christians are to be like a lighthouse who cast its light into the dark night to keep ships from running aground. The light in the lighthouse itself is really not that big and bright, it is the mirrors behind the light that makes the light so bright, so it is with Jesus, He mirrors Himself in the Christian and so the Gospel Light shines brightly into the world.  We can compare the Christian to the moon, without the sun the moon will not give light; neither will a human give light without God.

Matthew 5: 14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
 
"Whoever follows me (Jesus) will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8 :12
As each day goes by I think about the decision I need to make by the end of January. It is my daily prayer that God will reveal to me if I should start with Chemo Therapy or not. I will need to give an answer to my Oncologist and those in the medical field.

At this point I see it as a big mountain that I can’t overcome, yet I know that with God I can overcome mountains, just like the Israelites when they stood before the Red Sea, the Egyptian army behind them and the sea before them and with no way out, yet God made a way by making a path right through the water. So I must trust God that He will make a way. Psalm 62: 8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.

Thankfully I feel good, sleep and eat well. The back pain I had is much less with the exception during the night when I turn over it gives me pain, otherwise all is well. I need to stay close to Christ, every hour I need Him. Just as I am finishing this blog entry my daily devotion dropped in my email box, most certainly very fitting in light of what I wrote today. I will post that devotion in a couple of days named "Think of all the hard things there are in your life."

Please pray for me that I will receive an answer in regards to Chemo treatments but also for a cure but most important that I will continue to have a peaceful heart, a peace that passes all understanding. Philippians 4 :7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Be blessed and be a blessing,
John



3 comments:

  1. Thank you John for once again telling us this beautiful truth and we continue to hold you in our loving prayers.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John & Henrietta:

    Making decisions is not easy, especially in your case. It would be nice if God spoke in an audible and unmistakable voice personally into our hearts. However, that is not the case. He allows us to make decisions, but He also knows our hearts and will be there for us in whatever decision we make, especially when both branches of the "fork in the road" seem equal. He knows our hearts and the condition of it and our relationship to Him. Jesus was human like us and understands the issues of our humanity. But a decision needs to be made. Perhaps during the course of this month it may become more clear to you. Sometimes we want an immediate answer while God is allowing us time to reflect and ponder. Obviously, this is a very personal matter for you in relation to your family and yourself. Nobody else can make that decision for you. But in either case, as you excperience, when we stand on Christ the Solid Rock, all other ground is sinking sand, and you stand on a firm foundation. When all else fails, Jesus remains. And I am sure you know that right well.

    When answers aren't enough, there is Jesus,
    He is more than just an answer to your prayer,
    And your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge.
    When answers aren't enough, He is there.

    Lifting you up in our prayers,

    Gerrit & Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear John and Henrietta;

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts again John! As I was reading, the Bible story from 2 Kings 6:14-17 came to mind... "When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Alas, my lord, what shall we do?” the servant asked. “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” And Elisha prayed, “O LORD, open his eyes so he may see.” Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha." God is with you both dear friends, in a much more real way than we can imagine!

    An awesome message also dropped into my mail box this morning!

    What a compassionate, gracious arrangement!

    (Susannah Spurgeon, "Words of Cheer and Comfort for Sick and Sorrowful Souls!" 1898)

    "My times are in Your hand!" Psalm 31:15

    Why then, need I worry or tremble? That great, loving, powerful hand keeps all the events of my life sealed and secure within its almighty clasp! And only He, my Maker and my Master, can permit them to be revealed to me as His will for me. What a compassionate, gracious arrangement! How eminently fitted to fulfill that sweet promise of His Word, "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You!" If we fully believed this, we would be absolutely devoid of the worry which corrodes and chafes the daily life of so many professing Christians.

    "My times." Not one or two important epochs of my history only--but everything that concerns me:
    joys that I had not expected,
    sorrows that must have crushed me, if they could have been anticipated,
    sufferings which might have terrified me by their grimness, had I looked upon them,
    surprises which infinite love had prepared for me,
    services of which I could not have imagined myself capable
    --all these lay in that mighty hand--as the purposes of God's eternal will for me.

    But, as they have developed gradually and silently--how great has been the love which appeared enwrapping and enfolding each one!
    Has not the grief been measured--while the gladness has far more abounded?
    Have not the comforts and consolations--exceeded the crosses and afflictions?
    Have not all things been so arranged, and ordered, and undertaken, and worked out on our behalf--that we can but marvel at the goodness and wisdom of God, in meting out from that dear hand of His, all the "times" that have passed over us?

    You agree with me in all this, do you not, dear reader? Then, I beg you, apply it to your present circumstances, however dark or difficult they may be. They have come directly from your Father's hand to you, and they are His dear will for you!

    God bless you dear ones!
    Love Jenny

    ReplyDelete